How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14876
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I are 89 years old. We own a large 6=room huse

Customer Question

My wife and I are 89 years old. We own a large 6=room huse in an upscale neiborhood. She has been diagnosed with Alziemers and I am recovering from two broken hips. Consequently, we have moved frm our home into an assisted living facility, including 3 meals per day. utilities. and once per week houe cleaning at a cost of $3200 per week
Our house sits empty, fullyfurnshed and utilities on. At some future date we will sell the house and dispose of our furniture and personal belomgings My question is this: How much, if any. can the $3200 per month rental cost of the assistd living facility be deducted from my 2015 taxes
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Assisted Living could be a deduction under Medical and if you file a Schedule A. There are limits to how much you can deduct for qualified medical expenses. For you that would be the amount of qualifying medical that is more than 7.5% of your Adjusted Gross Income.

Generally, anything that is directly related to the individual’s medical care, including health or Medicare insurance, long-term care insurance, eye wear, hospitals, hearing aids, and so forth, qualifies as a medical expense.

The portion of the costs that are for medical care would be allowed. A special needs unit, or dementia care at an assisted living facility, then you may qualify for a tax deduction on all costs for your wife.

You need to have a certified plan of care from a licensed health care practitioner, and be unable to perform at least two activities of daily living, such as bathing, dressing, or eating. Then those costs would be deemed to be medical. Your wife requires substantial supervision to protect her health and safety, that is why all her costs are deductible.

For you , an itemized list is required unless you are bedridden still.

After you view my response, please post if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!