Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

My question is regarding the upcoming tax season and my

Customer Question

My question is regarding the upcoming tax season and my unique situation. I used to co-own a home with someone. Annual total property taxes are around 9,500 dollars. In December 2014 I filed Chapter 7 bankruptcy and therefore was no longer responsible for the mortgage note, alothough my name continue to be on the home's title as a bankruptcy does not remove your name from the title. As in years past, for 2015, the mortgage company continue to pay the property taxes on our behalf. As a matter of fact we did not personally pay property taxes for years. I do realize that since the taxes were being paid on my behalf that I could still claim them during tax season. In August 2015, this property was finally taken back in a deed in lieu of foreclosure and finally my name is ***** ***** title. I have three specific questions. First, as far as I know I technically was still responsible for future property taxes even after my Bankrupcy discharge in 2014. Therefore, can i claim thte property taxes paid on my behalf in 2015 since my name was still on the properites title!? Also, when claiming property taxes with a co-owner, do you claim half of the total property taxes paid? For instance, if the total amount of property taxes paid were 9,000 would each of us claim 4,500? Also, if one of the co-buyers decides not to claim any of the property taxes, can I claim the whole 9,000 or do I still have to claim only half the property taxes paid? Thank you, Angelo
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

Hi from just answer. I'm PDtax, and will assist.

I have to do a little research on your question, and can assist tomorrow morning.

Expert:  PDtax replied 11 months ago.

Your questions are very interesting, and I do not have enough information to completely answer. It will require some give and take, and as such the amount posted for payment will need to be increased.

I will post an Offer of Additional Service to assist, and propose to work with you directly to answer your questions. I will ask you to pay for 1/2 hour of professional time. Accept, and we can answer all your questions this morning.