Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

5 years ago I purchased some gold and silver coins. The

Customer Question

5 years ago I purchased some gold and silver coins. The price of gold and silver has dropped significantly since then. These coins are in an ira and I was thinking if I took them out of the ira now my tax burden would be much less.....am I right?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Hello

If you take the coins out of the IRA the distribution will be taxable to you. Your withdrawal will be assessed at the "fair market value" for that day.

You cannot claim a loss on the coins that you take out unless you took everything out of your IRA(s).

But yes if they have dropped then you would be taxed on the value when you take them out.

After you view my response, please post if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!