Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My wife of 8 years 8 months from Japan here in the USA on a

Customer Question

My wife of 8 years 8 months from Japan here in the USA on a green card and a military dependent, was asked to submit a W9 when she closed a bank account of $60 total, they told us the SSAN she had for 7 years, we report every year to immigration, and like all military retirees, we do our taxes every January. Why the W9 to close an account?? They say at the Armed Forces bank, her SSAN is in error after all these years?? Why??
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Hello

The W9 is requested when the account holder is a US citizen or Resident alien. It is to make sure that the bank has the correct SSN or ITIN on file for the individual.

The bank is required to have proof of identity, your SSN (or ITIN) and the name as it is shown on your SSN card. (The rules tightened up with the Patriot Act.) The official IRS form is W-9, but many banks routinely use their own form when you open your account.

The bank will also ask for the form again if they got a letter from the IRS saying that your SSN and name do not match their records.

Of course if she has been using the correct SSN when you file taxes then the bank may have made an error them self in entering it and the IRS advised them it did not match.

The W9 is just for matching name and SSN with the account and does not imply anything for extra tax.

Actually without the W-9 on file (or if the bank thinks they don't have it), the bank MUST withhold tax of any interest they pay you. Your 1099-INT at the end of the year would show the amount withheld and you would get credit for it on your tax return.

It is much easier to make sure the bank has the correct information.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!