Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I was just wondering about tax write off in regrds to

Customer Question

Customer: I was just wondering about tax write off in regrds to sponsored athletes.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: if i sponsor an athlete thru product, it can not be considered advertisment cost? or if i give him a shopping budget (load money on a visa card) so he can shop in my retail store.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: and they answer right away? or the question get forwarded into a forum? also, how do i pay?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Hello

If you sponsor an athlete they normally endorse your product or establishment so yes, that is advertising or marketing costs. You can deduct that.

The IRS defines advertising as any sponsor recognition or message that includes the following: qualitative or comparative language; price information or indications of saving or value; or a call to purchase, sell or use the sponsor’s products or services.

Any amount you pay the person (even free shopping in your store) is payment to him and deductible for your business.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.