emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

If I have a valid tax credit of $11,000 installation, can I

Customer Question

If I have a valid tax credit of $11,000 for solar installation, can I use all of this in one year to offset a capital gains tax on the sale of my rental home?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can use the credit to reduce or eliminate your tax liability. Here's how the credit works. You take your total income, reduce it by your deductions and exemptions to arrive at your taxable income. Using tax tables and/or worksheets you will calculate your tax liability for the year. Than you can use the credit to offset it. What you cannot use, will be carried over to future years.

For instance, your total income is 75,000 and after your deductions (standard or itemized based on your filing status) and exemptions (for every person listed on the tax return) you will end up with 50,000 of taxable income, you use the tax table to figure out your tax. Lets assume 15% tax bracket, your tax liability will be 7500 (50,000x15%). You can use 7,500 of the credit to eliminate your tax and carry over the remaining 3,500 to next year.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Tom, I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.