Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am filing my 2011 taxes, I didn't get a w2, the IRS

Customer Question

I am filing my 2011 taxes, I didn't get a w2, the IRS already told me this, I have some other paper work from UBS, mostly IRA stuff....Do I have to have a W2 to file
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

No, you do not have to have a W-2 to file ... IRS as it sounds like you already know will say you are required to report all income whether your employer we remiss in sending (or you lost the W-2) or not.

...

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

What you can do to see what your employer may have reported, is get a wage and income transcript by going online here

...

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

And if you're saying that you didn't have wages at all, (so no W-2 for THAT reason) the yes you'd still need to report the other income.

...

Now, if you were below the filing threshold (the standard deduction and personal exemption that everyone gets), you may NOT have to file, as you wouldn't have had enough income to be taxable.

...

But even then there can still be reasons to file (getting any withholding back for example ... If there were taxes withheld but, say, your total income wasn't enough to be taxable ... Filing would be the only way to get that refund ...However in THIS situation, you'd be past the 3 year statute of limitations for filing for a refund.

...

(As you can see, there are different scenarios that can affect the answer here) But generally you RECEIVING a W-2 won't be the ONLY factor.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

..