Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

It is unlikely one can help me, but I will give it a try: I

Customer Question

Hello: It is unlikely one can help me, but I will give it a try:
I am an accountant, I cater to Americans who live outside USA, i.e. American Expatriates. I offer unique tax expertise in:
- preparing their tax returns which exempt them from taxes.
- guide them to adhere to U S banking requirements.
My clients ( not including armed services) are about seven millions , all over the world. My question:
How do I reach them to make them aware of my niche. My fees are fraction of the norm, because I operate from home.
Thank you
Richard *********
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 11 months ago.

Well, honestly, the first thing you should do is raise your fees so that you can afford some advertising.

In the situation that you describe, ie. your "target" population, the best thing that you can do is to create a website that is designed specifically toward Expatriates. There are many organizations that provide the expertise to develop websites from their pro-forma guides that may easily be "personalized" toward the audience that you are targeting. This will afford you a quick way to get a professionally designed website at a minimal cost. Check out a number of these organizations by searching for "Tax Preparer Organizations" or "Tax Preparer Trade Organizations", etc. Once you have that established, put your money into one of the various services that will place you high in the search results for terms that Expatriates are likely to use to find a Tax Preparer. Combine that information with your own ideas & you should be off & running. There are other avenues to build this business, and those may take longer to develop; one that comes to mind quickly is to sell your service to the various companies that have employees serving overseas. Many of these organizations provide a tax preparation service to their employees as an employee benefit. When I worked at one of the then "Big Eight" CPA firms, many of our international clients provided this type of service (as well as other financial planning services) to their employees by engaging us to send a representative overseas to where these employees were located to meet with their employees and obtain the information necessary to prepare their tax returns on an annual basis. Although you probably would not be able to secure one of these major customers, it's a service you could easily provide remotely, communicating over the internet, perhaps to smaller companies who only have a few employees located overseas. Again, in this current era, a website would be essential to develop the business you are targeting.

Hope this helps to stimulate your thinking & gives you something to investigate to see if you can find a direction to follow to get started on your objective of serving Expatriates. Good Luck, I think you've got a great idea.

.

PS If you want to speak with me directly, we have an option of providing an additional service of a telephone consultation, where we can speak with each other in real time.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Dear Sir:Respectfully, ***** ***** a web it is a common knowledge. a
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Large companies with expatriates would not be interested in my low fees, they will go to,a large CPA, or large law firm.It would be " not applicable" to measure your response being good or bad. I am up in years, toured the world,worked for billion multinational companies.I started my inquire: it is unlikely you can help me. That remains the same..Have a Merry Xmas

Of course it is for most, but you asked the question. Also, the best way to create a website with the limited time available for this year's tax season, the best way is to use the method I suggested. More importantly, is how you establish your priority in the common search engines; what words to choose, etc.

You have to remember that we no noting about the people who visit our website, their background, experience level, professional qualifications, personality, etc. So, generally we try to start with the basics & go forward. This website is designed to have a real time exchange with our customers, not to dump questions or answers and leave; that seldom works out.

Richard, we agree. That's exactly what I said about large multinational companies. Perhaps you didn't see those comments. I too am "up in years", which only adds to our value, in my opinion.

Why may I ask did you bother to "pose" a question if you didn't want to discuss your issues with another professional? Nobody has all the answers, something I presume you have learned from all your travels and experience.

Please try to enjoy the holidays, also. I wish you nothing but the best with the Expatriates. I'm sure they will appreciate your efforts on their behalf.

Please take a moment to rate my response, as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.

Thanks for using JustAnswer.com; in the future, perhaps we can assist you with any technical matters that may arise in your practice.

You may find the following link useful:

http://www.accountantsworld.com/solutions/website-relief?sourcecode=AW260WROFF

Just checking in to see if you have had a chance to read the additional information I provided and to see if you would rate my efforts on your behalf in order that I may receive credit for my work. I'm sure you realize that our fees are a fraction of what they would normally be if we didn't work from home also. Thanks very much, Steve G.