Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I've started a small business this year ( sole

Customer Question

Hi, I've started a small business this year ( sole proprietorship) and have kept pretty good records but I haven't filed anything "official" with the state (UT) or the Feds. Do I have to complete this by year end or can I get it all done by 4.15 to be eligible for 2015?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

Yes, you need to get it done by Apr 15

...

You'll use schedule C (Business income or loss) as the document to report gross income, your expenses, and then come down to profit.

...

Then, that profit flows to line 12 on the front of your 1040 (business income or loss).

...

Then that becomes part of your AGI, which is the starting point for the state return.

...

If you use, say, Turbotax, this is all done automatically, if you just answer the questions

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

As a matter of fact, if you'll become familiar with the schedule C (because it's essentially the income statement fo your business) you'll be able to better project where you are with profit and more easily be able to estimate your taxes

...

Here's the Schedule C:https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

Hope this has helped...Let me know if you have questions.

...

If this HAS helped, (and you don’t have additional questions on this), I'd really appreciate your positive rating … (by clicking or touching the stars or smileys on your screen) … … That’s the only way I'll be credited a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.

...

Thank you,

Lane