Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I'm trying to pay a penalty a late 1120S. I've tried 4 IRS

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** Smith I'm trying to pay a penalty for filing a late 1120S. I've tried 4 IRS numbers and EFTPS. I spoke to one person who told me I would have to get someone to tell me how to do it. So far, total fail.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Actually, I have 3 penalties. I want to pay them separately so I won't have them mixed up. The first one says: you filed your S corporation return late. Tax period December 31, 2013. IRS guy said I could pay by phone number with credit card. None of the 3 numbers had the option of a payment for my problem.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: OK
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

The various payment options don't break the payments down into anything more than which year and what form

...

So, so sorry, you'll have to break out how much was late filing, late payment, interest, and penalty (whichever of those apply) for yourself

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

What you might consider (probably stating the obvious here) is making a different payment for each component of any year's' return (tax, penalty, interest)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

This is because IRS' (quite antiquated) system is designed to tie everything to a tax year and a tax form (return) ... It will then apply $ to the earliest as dollars come in

...

But if you make all at one time that won't matter (better said ... if you make them all on the same day, one after another)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I hope this has helped.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

If this HAS helped, (and you don't have any other questions on this), I'd really appreciate a positive rating(using those stars on your screen) … That's the only way I'll be credited with a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.com

...

Thank you,

Lane

.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I'm just checking back in to see how everything's going.

Did my answer help?

Let me know...

Lane