Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
51959094

In 2014, I deposited state tax refunds that I received and

Customer Question

In 2014, I deposited state tax refunds that I received for 2011 and 2012.
What should I report on Form 1040, line 10?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 11 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help. The answer to your question depends on whether you benefited from the state income tax deduction in prior year. Have you itemized your deductions in 2011 and 2012, or in a subsequent if you paid the income tax after those years? If you did not then you would not have to report any taxable amount on that line. In addition, if you were in the alternative minimum tax for the years's that the taxes were paid, then there is no amount to report for those refunds as state taxes are added back for alternative minimum tax purposes.

To simplify things, you can fill out the information on the attached spreadsheet and I can let you know the taxable amount.

Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions.

Thanks, Jonathan