Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
58285678

I am a parent and we have had two children that lived with

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, my Name is***** am a foster parent and we have had two foster children that lived with us for the whole year and we provided the support for them. Would they count as dependents for Federal Taxes?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The kids were put in our custody by the court. We do receive payments from the state for providing foster care. They resided with us for the whole tax year
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 11 months ago.

If the following requirements are met, you may claim the children as dependents.

In general, to be a taxpayer’s qualifying child, a person must satisfy four tests:

• Relationship — the taxpayer’s child or stepchild (whether by blood or adoption), foster child, sibling or stepsibling, or a descendant of one of these.
  • Residence — has the same principal residence as the taxpayer for more than half the tax year. Exceptions apply, in certain cases, for children of divorced or separated parents, kidnapped children, temporary absences, and for children who were born or died during the year.
  • Age — must be under the age of 19 at the end of the tax year, or under the age of 24 if a full-time student for at least five months of the year, or be permanently and totally disabled at any time during the year.
  • Support — did not provide more than one-half of his/her own support for the year.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

https://www.irs.gov/uac/A-%E2%80%9CQualifying-Child%E2%80%9D

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.