Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

I need to reinstate a defaulted installment plan; no one

Customer Question

i need to reinstate a defaulted installment plan; no one answers phone at IRS what to do
Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 11 months ago.

Good afternoon. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Dealing with the IRS is about as frustrating as it can get. But, the best most efficient manner to get an installment agreement reinstated is to call them on the notice of default. Basically what you have to do is call and while you're on hold, go about doing something else until the IRS finally picks up. This lately can take up to a couple of hours. And, I know it requires patience. The IRS gives you 30 days from the date of default to contact them before they start the process of collection. Calling them within this 30-day window keeps you in compliance and gives you an opportunity to remedy the default and get the agreement reinstated. Alternatively, you can correspond with them by writing and request the reinstatement. If you go this route you want to send your correspondence by certified mail, return receipt requested or by overnight delivery such as UPS or Federal Express so you have evidence of sending it and when. But, if you are close to the end of your 30 day period, this process is a bit more precarious than the phone call.

This is the part of my job I don't like...when the law is not in favor of my customer. I wish I could tell you there was a more efficient manner to handle this, but, I can only provide you information based on my 35 years of dealing with the IRS so that you can act on the best available information to you. ………..I wish I had better news, but can only hope you recognize and understand my predicament and don't shoot the messenger. I'm sorry!

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!.