Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

My question is this? I live in northern California. My wife

Customer Question

My question is this? I live in northern California. My wife and I divorced this year. We sold one of three properties and split the money 50/50. I received a check for approximately 38,000. The wife then complained and requested the entire amount from the house sale. We agreed that I could keep 10,000 since that was the original promise and I promised to pay her back before the divorce was finalized in October.
As part of the divorce agreement, which is in writing, I agreed to pay her back the 25K and I did but that initial check of 38K moved me into a new tax bracket.
Now, before I start my filing process I want to know what forms and/or actions I need to do?
Rick Taylor
Now... That 35,000 was reported income for me. I only ended up with 10,000. What do I need to do as far as capital
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 11 months ago.

...

First, would you please clarify whether the property was part of the property settlement?

...

If so this will determine the basis for the capital gain here ... and remember capital gain is sales price minus basis (basis being your purchase price plus any improvements)

...

The check you received may be more about difference in sale price and loan amount ... but the loan amount doesn't affect basis, it's just how you FINANCED that purchase.

...

And again, the amounts that were delineated in the divorce decree will help with both basis (property settlement basis is what's called carry-over basis, its the same as if one spouse gifted the asset or a portion of an asset to the other spouse) and tax treatment all around.

...

Also, who was on the deed for the property? This will drive part of the answer as well

...

Lots to talk about here

...

If you'd like I can make what's called an additional services offer so that we can discuss over the phone ... might be more efficient