Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I got a call from Washing DC regrading a Grant that is tax

Customer Question

I got a call from Washing DC regrading a Grant that is tax free, could you help me? Leesa
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was told to deposit 230.00 and within 30 minutes I w ould recieve 14,566. Intto my a ccount plus the 230.00 the address is www.grants.nik.gov. Is this a scam?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi Leesa,

...

Can you tell me more?

...

SOME grants CAN be tax free

....

For example,

Scholarships, fellowship grants, and other grants are tax-free if you meet the following conditions:

• You are a candidate for a degree at an educational institution that maintains a regular faculty and curriculum and normally has a regularly enrolled body of students in attendance at the place where it carries on its educational activities; and
  • The amounts you receive are used to pay for tuition and fees required for enrollment or attendance at the educational institution, or for fees, books, supplies, and equipment required for courses at the educational institution.

...

But GETTING a call like this, especially if they are asking for you to pay something, sounds an awful lot like a telephone scam that is out there right now ... where they will either ask for your bank account (and pull from it without your permission) info OR tell you that you have to Pay some up-front fee, an then you never hear from them again

...

Can you tell me more about what they said?

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Did you see my answer?