Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I live in Maryland. In 2012 a professional tax preparation

Customer Question

I live in Maryland. In 2012 a professional tax preparation company did my taxes and made an error which has been found and I have been billed for $ 2100.00 in unpaid tax plus $ 700.00 in interest. Would the accounting company be liable for the interest?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 11 months ago.

Hello

Tax companies have a responsibility to prepare your tax return accurately and if their preparer made a mistake they will generally request the IRS or state "abate" the penalties then reimburse the client for the interest.
Some companies even have offers to pay the additional taxes if you sign up for a special offer.

They are not required to do this but reputable large companies will pay the interest by reimbursement.

You should push for a payment by asking to speak to the next higher up in charge until you receive what you feel is fair.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.