Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Is my husband entitled to SSI benefits. He is collecting

Customer Question

Is my husband entitled to SSI benefits. He is collecting Social Security and is service related disability of 20%.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

SSI is a means tested benefit for people living below the poverty level. Are you talking about SSI or SSDI?

If you are referring to SSDI (Social Security Disability) that would depend upon the nature of his disability. You can only collect SSDI until you reach your full retirement age & then it automatically switches to regular retirement benefits. Also, in Social Security there is no partial disability, you have to be 100% disabled.

Qualifying for SSI benefits is determined on an individual basis and the only way to be certain as to whether or not you qualify would be to make an appointment with your local Social Security Office and meet with a Claims Officer

who can tell you whether or not you may be entitled to some SSI benefit and assist you in completing the application if there's a chance that you may qualify for any SSI benefit at all.

Here's a link to the Social Security webpage that refers to the SSI program.

https://www.ssa.gov/disabilityssi/ssi.html#&a0=2

You'll see that they don't take applications over the internet, but recommend that you make an appointment with your local SSA office to discuss your personal situation and whether or not you qualify for the program.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in to see if you've had a chance to review my response & see if you have any follow-up questions?