How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29535
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have been contributing to a 529 plan kids college years.

Customer Question

I have been contributing to a 529 plan for my kids college for several years. They are now in college and incurring qualified expenses. I haven't been pulling the money out to pay for those expenses, but have been tracking the amount spent. When I pull the money out in later years, can I offset the earnings with the expenses I incurred in previous years?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to our site!
For 529 plan distribution purposes - ONLY qualified education expenses paid during the year of distribution are considered.
Educational expenses paid in other tax years - before or after distributions are not relevant.
Please consider that when you plan distributions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Please be aware that same rules are used when determination is made for educational credits or other educational benefits.
All qualified expenses are considered if paid during the specified tax year.
Let me know if you need any help with specific expenses or reporting.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.