Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I have a judgement against an individual who lives in New

Customer Question

I have a judgement against an individual who lives in New Jersey but works in Pennsylvania. I want to either garnish her wages or federal and state income tax return. How can I collect my judgement?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 11 months ago.

Nether federal nor state income tax refund may NOT be garnished to satisfy a judgement.
Such garnishment is very limited and allowed ONLY for very limited reasons.

Expert:  Lev replied 11 months ago.

To garnish wages in Pennsylvania - you would need to have a judgement in Pennsylvania - most likely - you will need to hire a collection service in this state - but all additional expenses could be added to the judgement.

Expert:  Lev replied 11 months ago.

The Department of Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) issues IRS tax refunds and Congress authorizes BFS to conduct the Treasury Offset Program (TOP). Through the TOP program, BFS may reduce your refund (overpayment) and offset it to pay:
•Past-due child and parent support;
•Federal agency non-tax debts;
•State income tax obligations; or
•Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state. (Generally, these are debts for (1) compensation paid due to fraud, or (2) contributions owing to a state fund that were not paid due to fraud).
All other types of debt may not be used to offset the tax refund.