Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

Please Help...I moved to AZ in Oct. of 2011 from OK. My

Customer Question

Please Help...I moved to AZ in Oct. of 2011 from OK. My income was generated from OK. I have no W-2 from AZ. But because I resided in AZ for three months of 2011, should I have filed a Part Year Resident form, and how do I do that without a W-2 or income from AZ.?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 12 months ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you resided in AZ and had any taxable income at that time, regardless where the income was generated, than you will have to file AZ part year resident return and allocate the income between OK and AZ. You do not need w2 with AZ withholding to do so. If for instance you received income from OK in November 2011, the income is treated as AZ income.

Here are the filing requirements for AZ: https://www.azdor.gov/about/faqs/individual.aspx

Click on "do I need to file AZ tax return"

If you received all your income before you moved to AZ, you will not need to file AZ tax return. However, if you used your AZ address on your federal return, AZ knows that you had taxable income for that year because IRS and states share tax filing information. If that's the case you can respond to the notice from AZ that you were not required to file because all income reported on your federal return was earned while resident of OK.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Well into the 2012 year the income was from OK., then it changed employer and became AZ income. So I filed in 2012 a Non-resident for the OK. income with the W-2 from OK. And a regular filing as a resident of AZ. with an AZ income W-2 for 2012. So back to 2011, if I file a PY form for AZ, I have no W-2 for AZ, no income generated from AZ. so on line B19 page 2, do I put 0? and would I also put 0 then on line 15, asking for AZ income?

Hold on. You said you moved to AZ in October 2011 but you still worked in OK until 2012?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I got a letter from the State because we had been cross referenced because of AZ address on my filing of 2011 from AZ.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
my husband travels for his business, so he can live anywhere in the western region, which includes 24 states and Hawaii and Guam.

But he was resident of AZ from October 1, 2011. Income he received after October 1, 2011 is considered AZ income, regardless where it was earned. OK doesn't have any reciprocity agreement with any state, which means if he worked in OK he will have to claim the income in both states, the resident state and working state. Let me check if there's any credit he can claim for taxes paid to OK.

There's a credit you can claim on your AZ return for the taxes paid to OK. You will have to allocate the income between OK (from January to September) and AZ (from October to December). You will use Arizona form 309 to claim the credit.

Here's your 309 for 2011: https://www.azdor.gov/Portals/0/ADOR-forms/TY2011/10100/10136_f.pdf

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Thank-you for your help, my husband had brain surgery on Nov. 19th. and things are, well kind of tight. So I will try to muddle through this. I understand you need to make a living also, but I thought my $38.00 paid for a week's of help. Thanks anyway

I don't get paid until you accept my answer so technically so far you haven't been charged anything. I do not have a control over the billing, I am just a user like you, so I really don't know what did you signed up for.