Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

My husband's ssn was used by someone else to file a tax

Customer Question

My husband's ssn was used by someone else to file a tax return in the Spring before we got our in to the IRS. He has done everything necessary for tax fraud including the affadavit form and has been to the local IRS office several times. I need to have surgery and we were counting on that refund to pay for my deductible and co-insurance. Since we have been filing the same return jointly for many years, and have proved that he is the real owner of that ssn, doesn't he have a right to know who stole his identity?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Unfortunately, no. Tax fraudsters/criminals have the same right to privacy as everyone else.

Because of the overwhelming amount of fraudulent tax returns that were filed for tax year 2014 (1 in 20 tax returns were fraudulent) and due to the fact that the IRS is understaffed, the time to process the correct tax returns and issue refunds is quite lengthy.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you previously paid.

Best regards,

Barb