Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I need to obtain a W2 from 1998 pre-employment screening.

Customer Question

I need to obtain a W2 from 1998 for a pre-employment screening. Are you able to assist me?
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If your employer from that year does not have a copy still (on computer or paper copy) or they are no longer in operation your best chance would be the Social Security Administration.

The SSA an give you copies/printouts of your Forms W-2 for any year from 1978 to the present. You can get free copies if you needed them for a Social Security-related reason. But there is a fee of $37 for each year if you need them for an unrelated reason.

When you write to them, be sure to include:

• Your Social Security number;
  • The exact name shown on your Social Security card;
  • Any different names shown on your W-2;
  • Your complete mailing address;
  • The year(s) for which you need copies;
  • Your daytime telephone number; and
  • The reason for your request.

Send your request with a check or money order payable to the Social Security Administration. Please include your Social Security number on the check or money order. You also can pay with a credit card by completing Form-714. Regular credit card rules apply.

Please send your request to:

Social Security Administration
Office of Central Operations
Division of Earnings Record Operations
P.O. Box 33003
Baltimore, MD###-##-####/p>

Although the IRS has copies too they would not have one from 1998 that would be available to you.

I certainly hope this is useful.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can't the local social security office print this for me?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

No, the procedure for SSA is for you to make a request in writing. The local office would not be able to access that file from so long ago.

The MD office houses those.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 12 months ago.

Please advise if you need more information but rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for my time.