emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I havent kept track of my mileage this year. Can I still

Customer Question

I havent kept track of my mileage this year. Can I still write it off? I've been driving about 175 miles a day since April.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you can reasonably reconstruct it and document it, than yes you can. If driving is required and expected for your job, than your employer probably keep some kind of records of your driving. What's your job?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am a process server. I can most likely reconstruct. Should I just go back and start going month by month figuring out the miles per day?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Yes, as long as you reconstruct it you can deduct it. IRS doesn't require any specific record keeping. A simple pocket calendar with your dates and trips will do.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just list the date and the amount of miles on that day?
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

For you records you will need date, destination (address from and to) and business purpose. If the destination and/or business purpose is same, you will only need dates and miles. You will not have to send your supporting documents with your tax return but you will have to be able to provide it, if IRS wants to see it. You will also need total miles (personal and business) for the entire year. It is a good idea to write down your odometer reading at the beginning of the year and at the end of the year.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

One of my clients (food delivery driver) was able to reconstruct his mileage by using work orders history he got from his billing department, another one (truck driver) used his dispatch records.

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.