Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Military, and have been since 2009. I have been paying

Customer Question

I am Active Duty military, and have been since 2009. I have been paying Missouri state taxes the entire time, is there a way to get these taxes back? I did not know that if I didn't live in MO at all, that I would be exempt from them.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you entered the armed forces in Missouri, your home of record is presumed to be Missouri and you are presumed to be domiciled in Missouri. Since individuals with a Missouri home of record can be stationed in Missouri or outside Missouri, their tax obligations can be different based on their specific circumstances.

If you: (a) maintained no permanent living quarters in Missouri during the year; (b) maintained permanent living quarters elsewhere; and (c) did not spend more than 30 days of the year in Missouri, you are considered a nonresident for tax purposes and your military pay, interest, and dividend income are not taxable to Missouri.

- If your home of record is Missouri and you are stationed in Missouri due to military orders, all of your income, including your military pay, is taxable to Missouri. If you are entering or leaving the military, Missouri is your home of record, and you spend more than 30 days in Missouri, your total income, including your military pay, is taxable to Missouri.

If you did not file a MO return and had withholding, you must complete Forms MO-1040 and MO-NRI to recover your withholdings. You only have 3 years still open to you though. There is a time limit for claiming a refund.

If you filed a MO return you can amend your past 3 years for MO and claim a refund.

Only the past 3 tax years are open to either. You can correct the 2012 tax year, 2013, and the 2014 but no older than those unfortunately.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

I need you to post below please

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure what other information you require.

Please post below.