Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Merlo! my name is tami -I want to know if I can bill under

Customer Question

Customer: hi merlo! my name is ***** ***** want to know if I can bill under one tax id and then open up a private office and bill under a separate tax id as a sole proprietor?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: i am a doctor and was just told my salary is being cut in half as of march due to budget restrictions . i will be going part time. i want to start a practice under a different tax id and bill patients to make up the difference. Can i do that ?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes!!
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Hi Tami,
generally taxpayers are using their SSN as tax ID for personal income tax - and that is the only tax ID allowed.
However when you are in business - you might have EIN as a business tax ID and use it for billing and banking purposes.
Is that what you are looking?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I want to know if I can use more than one tax id for seeing medical outpatients
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

You may have TWO tax IDs - your SSN and EIN.
Generally - you do not need tax ID for seeing patients. But you might need it to bill insurance companies.
For your tax return as a sole proprietor - you will use ONLY ONE tax ID that is your SSN.
When you run business as a solo proprietor and have EIN assigned to your business - you will report EIN on schedule C

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sc.pdf

see header line "D"

Let me know if you need direction how to apply for EIN.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.