Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am slightly confused as to how converting from a single

Customer Question

I am slightly confused as to how converting from a single member llc to a multi member (partnership) llc will affect my taxes it all seems very vague, would you possibly be able to clarify how this works?
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. I'll be happy to discuss this with you by phone. If you submit a request, I will accept it and I will then call you. I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I hold J.D. (Duris Doctorate -a Doctoral degree in the law), MBA (Finance & Tax specialization), a BBA from Mercer University's Stetson School of Business & Economics, as well as CFP and CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations - I can help

...

Actually there may be less actual NET change than you think .... You still considered a self employed individual

...

IRS just (by adding another owner/member requirres that you now file a partnership tax return (UNLESS you elect one of the corporate forms of taxation)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

So, rather than filing a schedule C with your return, as you have been (where the profit flows to your 1040 on line 12 - business income or loss) the 1065 will generate a schedule K-1 that (based on ownership or partnership agreement) assign a proportion of the income or loss to you and the other owners ... then THAT k-1 is used to prepare your taxes (flows from your K-1, to schedule E, to line 17 of your return

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Then that income (or loss) becomes part of your Adjusted Gross income, just as the income flowing from the schedule C did when you were a single member

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

And finally, becasue you are still considered "self employed" you will still have the schedule SE, just as you didi as a single member, where you pay self employment tax (both the employer and employee halves of social security and Medicare)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

That's a pretty good foundation

...

Let me know what questions you have from here

...

Lane

..

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

….

I'm just checking back in to see how things are going.

….

Did my answer help?

…..

Please let me know if you need more here

And if not, I'd appreciate a positive rating (using the stars on your screen). That's the only way JustAnswer will credit me with a portion of what you've paid them.

Thank you,

Lane

.

.