emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

I am 56 years old and ssdi and my wife 63 and is still

Customer Question

I am 56 years old and ssdi and my wife 63 and is still working. can she file for ss and put on hold until she turns 68 and start receiving spousal benefits and what kind if any would this have her future ss retirement ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you are collecting social security benefits and your spouse is eligible for spousal benefits at age 62. However, if she start collecting social security benefits before her full retirement age (65 in her case), her own but also but also the spousal benefits will be permanently reduced. She can only collect one benefit but she cannot put the other one on hold and receive full benefits in future. That's the penalty for applying for social security benefits before full retirement age.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Assuming she was born in 1952 and start collecting spousal benefits in December 2015, her own benefits will be permanently reduced 17% and if she applies for the spousal benefits, she will receive about 39% of yours.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.