Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
30050794

Will my ssdi payments decrease when I turn 62?

Customer Question

will my ssdi payments decrease when I turn 62 ?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

No. They will not decrease. As you may know when you qualify & receive Social Security Disability (Insurance) SSDI, your disability benefit is based upon your projected full retirement benefit. The computation of the benefit amount you qualify for includes a projection of your earnings would have been through your full retirement age.

Once you have that amount, it won't be decreased by any actual earnings you have as long as you are within your permitted maximum for each year you are receiving disability benefits. Once you reach your full retirement age, say for example 66, you will still receive the same benefit, but it will be reclassified as a retirement benefit. Your benefit will also qualify for any cost of living increases all Social Security Recipients receive, which for 2016 is zero.

Expert:  Stephen G. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking in. Have you had a chance to see my response? If so, if you have any questions, please ask. Also, I would appreciate it if you would take a moment to rate my response as that is the only way we receive credit for our work.