Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

In the state of Missouri public servants taxes are forgiven.

Customer Question

What do they consider to be the requirements of a public servant?
If they were to qualify as a public servant can they get back past payments?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), concentration in Tax Law & Corporate law, an MBA (specialization in finance & tax), and BBA from Mercer University's Stetson School of Business and Economics, as well as CFP and CRPS designations. … I can help here

...

Are you possibly thinking of the forgiveness of federal LOANS?

...

The definition of public sevice job is fairly broad. Any employment with a federal, state or local government agency, entity or organization or a non-profit organization that has been designated as tax-exempt by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC). The type or nature of employment with the organization does not matter for Public Service Loan Forgiveness (PSLF) purposes. Additionally, the type of services that these public service organizations provide does not matter for PSLF purposes. Some private, non-profit employers that are not tax exempt can even be considered qualifying employment for the PSLF program, provided the employer provides certain public services (e.g., public health, safety, etc).

What types of loans are eligible?

Loans are either:

• Federal — Made and/or regulated by the government, including Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loans (FFEL), and Federal Perkins Loans; or
  • Private — Made by a bank/private lender and generally carry higher fees and interest rates than federal loans. (For more information, see Avoiding deceptive student loans.)

Private loans are not eligible for loan forgiveness programs, and not all federal loans are either. Visit theFederal Student Aid website for a list of debt cancellation/forgiveness programs and which types of federal loan types are eligible for each program.

...

...

I can find nothing in the Missouri code about forgiveness of taxes.

...

Could you possibly point me to your source so I can dig into this further for you?