How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The IRS has sent me a bill for $3094 because of an error

Customer Question

The IRS has sent me a bill for $3094 because of an error made by Turbo Tax on my 2013 taxes. How can you resolve this problem?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

What adjustment IRS made to your tax return that resulted in the balance?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Usually the initial notice include explanation of changes. Most IRS notices are generated by matching computer software an in most cases there's an easy solution to fix it. And often it is not even tax preparer or tax preparation software at fault. What's the notice number? It usually starts with CP####

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

CP2000 means that what had been reported on your tax return doesn't match what's in IRS database. If it result in balance due most likely something had been reported to IRS that you didn't claim on your tax return. What changes IRS made to your return. There's a section in the notice that explains it.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

It doesn't mean that the return is incorrect, it means that something is missing. Did you reported all your income from all your tax forms you received? Is it possible that you didn't receive a W2 or 1099Misc from one of your employers?

Can you attach here the letter so I can see it?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Cannot help you without you providing me with more information. Do you want me to send you additional service offer so we can exchange information via more private e-mail?