Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I lived in Ohio from September 2013 to April 2014. My only

Customer Question

I lived in Ohio from September 2013 to April 2014. My only income was Oregon State unemployment, which I paid taxes to Oregon on. I earned NO income from Ohio or any employer in the state. I was advised by two preparers that I was not liable for taxes to the state of Ohio.
I received a demand letter from Ohio for taxes, period unspecified, and if I didn't pay up all kinds of unpleasant things would be done to me.
Do I have liability to Ohio?
Thanks,
Jeffrey Natt
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you lived in Ohio in 2013 then you were a part year resident in Ohio and any income you received while actually in Ohio is taxable to Ohio. If any other state taxed it too, Ohio would give you a credit for that on your Ohio return.

This goes the same for 2014. You were a Part Year resident again because you left Ohio. Any income you received while a resident (Jan -April 2014) is taxable to Ohio.

http://www.tax.ohio.gov/ohio_individual/individual/residency_status.aspx

Did the 2 tax preparers tell you why you did not have to report this on your Ohio return?

In general, unemployment compensation included in federal adjusted gross income is taxable to Ohio. For taxable year 2014, the total unemployment compensation paid to you in 2014 and included in federal adjusted gross income is taxable.

• Q. I worked in Ohio but I have moved to another state. Is the unemployment compensation paid from Ohio taxable to Ohio?
  • A. No. If you worked in Ohio, but moved to another state and received Ohio unemployment compensation while a resident of another state, unemployment compensation is taxable to the resident state instead of Ohio.
  • Q. I moved to Ohio in March 2014 and received unemployment compensation from North Carolina. Is the unemployment compensation taxed by Ohio?
  • A. Yes. If you are a part-year resident, the amount of unemployment compensation you received while a resident of Ohio, regardless of what state the unemployment compensation is from, is taxable to Ohio. You may claim a Schedule D credit for the portion of unemployment compensation that you received while a resident of the other state.

The above are both from the FAQ on Ohio tax revenue website.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

The system advised you Viewed 11/15/2015 at 3:29:06 PM

Did you need clarification?