How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lane Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 11610
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lane is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

At 82 years old and about to receive a past due commision

Customer Question

at 82 years old and about to receive a past due commision can i opt out of paying social security tax
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.



So sorry to be the messenger here, but likely not,

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

There are certain groups/classes that might able to..


There are a number of groups of workers who are exempted from having to pay Social Security taxes:

  • Federal employees hired before 1984 who elected to continue to participate in the federal retirement program instead of receiving part of their retirement under Social Security coverage.
  • State or local government workers (police officers, firefighters, and teachers) hired before March 31, 1986 and participating in their employers' alternative retirement system.
  • Ministers may choose whether or not they will participate in the Social Security program.
  • Self-employed workers with annual net earnings below $400.
  • Election workers earning $1,000 or less a year.
  • Household workers earning less than $1,500 per year.
  • Minor children with earnings from household work but for whom household work is not their principal occupation.
  • College students working under Federal Work Study programs, graduate students receiving stipends while working as teaching assistants,research assistants, or on fellowships, and most postdoctoral researchers.
  • Individuals who are members of certain religious groups such as theAmish and Mennonites.


you can read more about that here:

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Now, if you're considered self-employed and the amount is lwss that $400, you would not owe an SS or medicare (called self employment taxes for those that re self employed)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Here's another good article on this from AARP


But again, you'll pay into social security, regardless of your age, unless the income comes from one of those state systems that opted out of social; security


I hope you'll rate me positively, using the stars on your screen … (that's the only way we get credit for the work here) … based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news/bad news content ... Hopefully, having all the facts will help you "see around some corners."


Let me know if you have questions,



Related Tax Questions