Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

If you did not work must you still file and if you did not

Customer Question

if you did not work must you still file and if you did not file could you go to jail.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If you did not have income that required you to file a tax return then you are not going to be penalized for not filing.

Whether or not you are required to file a federal income tax return depends on several things:

Even if you're not required to file a tax return, there are reasons you may want to file a tax return.

If you are not required to file because you did not work or have income that is taxable above the minimum you do not have to file.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.