Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

I have misplaced my refund check. What do I do?

Customer Question

Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Pursuant to the IRS (https://www.irs.gov/Help-%26-Resources/Tools-%26-FAQs/FAQs-for-Individuals/Frequently-Asked-Tax-Questions-%26-Answers/IRS-Procedures/Refund-Inquiries/Refund-Inquiries-1), when you lose your refund check:

"You can call us at(###) ###-####(toll-free) and either use the automated system or speak with an agent.

• If you filed a married filing jointly return, you cannot initiate a trace using the automated systems. The IRS will issue you a Form 3911 (.pdf), Taxpayer Statement Regarding Refund, to get the replacement process started or you can download the form.

Once your claim for a missing refund is processed, if the check was not cashed, you will receive a replacement after the original check is cancelled. If the refund check was cashed, the Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) will provide you with a claim package that includes a copy of the cashed check. BFS will review your claim and the signature on the cancelled check before determining whether they can issue you a replacement check. The BFS review can take up to six weeks to complete."

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if I can provide any further direction for you.