Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Client wants s past tax returns to show s home address and

Customer Question

client wants his past tax returns to show his home address and not his business address 'for legal reasons'. he said the form 8822 wouldn't suffice, he needs the returns to show his home address, can that be done with an amendment or somehow?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

There are a few ways of doing this...

...

If you change your address before filing your return, enter your new address on your return when you file. When your return is processed, IRS updates the record.

...

8822, of course

...

Use Where's My Refund? to complete your change of address online. You will need your Social Security number, filing status and the amount of your refund.

...

OR by written request

...

You may also write to inform us of your address change. If you write, we need your:

• full name
  • old and new addresses
  • Social Security number, individual taxpayer identification number or employer identification number, and
  • signature

Joint Filers - If you filed a joint return, you should provide the same information and signatures for both spouses. Send your written address change information to the campus addresses listed in the instructions to the tax forms you filed.

Separated - If you filed a joint return and you and/or your spouse have since established separate residences, you both should notify the IRS of your new addresses.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I'm not so sure they will process a 1040x where the only change is the address

...

To do the 1040X, you DO have to re-do the return to see what the changes are, to go on the 1040x

...

you can always amend and let him have a copy of the return with the home address

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but can he get it to change on the return officially? using one of those methods ?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

What bubbles to the top for ME here is the way this request "smells."

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

There's no such thing as changig what was filed ... his tax ACCOUNT would have the new address he provides (the address you see when you get an ACCOUNT transcript)

...

But the request seem a but suspicious... Id ask him WHY ... even if only to protect YOURSELF

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

I just noticed that they have changed the instructions in the 1040x to say that no 8822 is necessary when you have MOVED since the original return was filed ... so that might lead one to think that the folks procesing the 1040X's will make an address change based on a 1040X

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Buti n my 30 years experience I never seen an amended (x) return filed just to change an address

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Here's what the instructions say:

...

Purpose of Form

Use Form 1040X to do the following.

• Correct Forms 1040, 1040A, 1040EZ, 1040NR, or 1040NR-EZ.
  • Make certain elections after the prescribed deadline (see Regulations sections(###) ###-####1 through -3 for details).
  • Change amounts previously adjusted by the IRS. However, do not include any interest or penalties on Form 1040X; they will be adjusted accordingly.
  • Make a claim for a carryback due to a loss or unused credit.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Still with me?

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

OK. I still don't see you coming back into the chat here

...

I don't think it would hurt anything to try, but you may be met with the response that the amended return (x series) is for reporting computational changes.

...

And there IS the fact that they now say that a form that NEEDS to be amended can be sent in with a different address, if the taxpayer has moved since the original return was filed, and there's no need for the 8822 in that case.

...

So again why not?

...

I hope you'll rate me positively, using the stars on your screen … (that's the only way we get credit for the work here) … based on thoroughness and accuracy, rather than any good news/bad news content

...

Lane

.

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Different expert here - welcome back to Just Answer,Customer

Actually, Form 1040X can be used correct non-financial filing information, such as an address or date of birth. To make the address change, simply check the box at the top of the form and indicate the year you wish to modify. From there, you can fill out the top of the form just like you were completing your original Form 1040. As with all changes on Form 1040X, you'll have to explain why you are changing your information in Part III. I.e., "This amendment is being filed solely for the purpose of reporting the correct address that should have been entered on the original tax return."

http://budgeting.thenest.com/can-change-1040x-amendment-23664.html

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1040x.pdf

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

.

...

Your original expert here

...

Be very careful with the simple assumption that you can go back for several years and file amended returns just to make an address change.

...

It was only in2014 that the instructions changed from 8822 is required for address changes to, (and this is the important piece) ... IF YOUR ADDRESS HAS CHANGED SINCE THE ORIGINAL RETURN WAS FILED, NO 8832 is necessary.

...

The leap from that to yes just file amended returns For several years only to change an address, is misguided.

...

And will be met with, "please submit the 8822"

...

Further, as I mentioned above, you should, from a risk management perspective for your own firm (yourself) find out what "for legal reasons" means.

...

Attempts to manipulate data with IRS should not be ta***** *****ghtly.

You have every right to find out what your client is trying to hide.... Simply to protect yourself

...

And again, the idea that you go back a number of years just to change the address will be met with a request for the 8822

...

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Second expert again.

Form 8822 is used to change your address after you have filed your most recent tax return so the IRS has your correct address on file. For example, if you move since you filed your return. Form 8822 is not required if you plan to file a tax return in the near future. You can simply enter your new mailing address directly on the tax return form instead of using Form 8822. You also have the option of writing a letter to the IRS that includes the same information that Form 8822 requires.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-8822,-Change-of-Address

https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/tax-tips/IRS-Tax-Forms/What-Is-Form-8822--Change-of-Address/INF26081.html

Form 1040X would be used to correct non-financial filing information to apply to the tax returns for the years in question that were previously filed.

I agree that your client's request is odd, but your original question came through the tax category and asked if the address change could be done for tax returns that have previously been filed. The answer is yes, with Form 1040X.

Best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you both for your opinion. I will ask why he is interested in doing this and then choose from your advice how or if to proceed.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Any address changed NOW, simply changes the address they have on file.

Again, you said tax "returns."

....

IRS doesn't keep a historical address.

..

They have one address field, and it's incumbent upon the taxpayer to keep that address accurate .

...

Any request for tax transcripts will show what was filed, and was filed as the address at that time.

...

Your client is asking for something that cannot be done ... To change an address after the fact.

...

anyone that thinks that filing several years of back taxes is a way to somehow change the address that was on those returns, doesn't understand how the database works.

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

As sometimes happens, and as clearly illustrated by this thread, tax professionals have different opinions.