Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I received two phone calls (left message) yesterday when

Customer Question

I received two phone calls (left message) yesterday when I was not home. The caller had a heavy Indian (from India) accent, she was very insistent that I return her call. She said it had to do with tax fraud on my tax account and if I didn't return her call I would be arrested????? The phone # ***** gave(###) ###-####her employee # ***** I have not received any correspondence from the IRS, please let me know as I'm very concerned. My email address is***@******.***. My home phone # ***** (XXX) XXX-XXX I tried to call the Fraud Unit of the IRS and only got a recording telling me to go online, I do not want to give out my social security # ***** line.

Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

This is a scam.

The Internal Revenue Service issued a consumer alert providing taxpayers with additional tips to protect themselves from telephone scam artists calling and pretending to be with the IRS.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

“These telephone scams are being seen in every part of the country, and we urge people not to be deceived by these threatening phone calls,” IRS Commissioner John Koskinen said. “We have formal processes in place for people with tax issues. The IRS respects taxpayer rights, and these angry, shake-down calls are not how we do business.”

The IRS reminds people that they can know pretty easily when a supposed IRS caller is a fake. Here are five things the scammers often do but the IRS will not do. Any one of these five things is a tell-tale sign of a scam. The IRS will never:

1. Call to demand immediate payment, nor will we call about taxes owed without first having mailed you a bill..
  2. Demand that you pay taxes without giving you the opportunity to question or appeal the amount they say you owe.
  3. Require you to use a specific payment method for your taxes, such as a prepaid debit card.
  4. Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone.
  5. Threaten to bring in local police or other law-enforcement groups to have you arrested for not paying.

If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS and asking for money, here’s what you should do:

• If you know you owe taxes or think you might owe, call the IRS at 1.***-***-****. The IRS workers can help you with a payment issue.
  • If you know you don’t owe taxes or have no reason to believe that you do, report the incident to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA) at 1.***-***-**** or atwww.tigta.gov.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Do not give your SSN to anyone that calls you. The IRS does not call people like this.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.