Richard, Tax Attorney
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
17027240

How is inheritance money reported on income tax return?

Customer Question

Category: Tax
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you provide me a bit more information? In what state are you located? Is this money simply from an estate inheritance? Or, is it from a retirement account such as an IRA, a 401k, etc.? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is just land located in grand prairie, Texas and it is from an inheritance.
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for your quick reply. There is no Federal or Texas inheritance tax. And, since it's an inheritance, it is NOT income. Thus, you have no reporting or tax obligation with respect to the inheritance. It does not get reported on your income tax.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!