Arthur Rubin
Arthur Rubin, Tax Preparer
Experience:  22 years of tax preparation experience, including individual, trust, and estate returns.
13714381

I made a big mistake on my 2013 tax return I over estimated

Customer Question

I made a big mistake on my 2013 tax return I over estimated my home interest I got a notice of audit for that today what should I do?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Arthur Rubin replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer.

It depends on the exact form of the audit notice. If they just placed the correct number on the form, recalculated, and charged tax, interest, and penalty, just agree. You're not likely to get a better deal, especially since you reported here that you put an estimated amount rather than the actual amount.

If it's a more complete audit, you probably need a professional specializing in audits. I cannot help you find such a professional, but you might try your state CPA association or look at a list of EA (Enrolled Agents). You can find such a list at the IRS.