Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I just received notice from the IRS that they send a letter

Customer Question

I just received notice from the IRS that they send a letter to all my employers mandating that I file my taxes as single and 0 from here on out is this legal why would they do theirs I pay taxes every year
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

When you provide W4 form to your employer - you actually inform your payroll person what amounts to withhold for income taxes.

Your employer most likely received 2800C Letter that is sent because the IRS believes that you as an employee may have filed an incorrect Form W-4, Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate.

If the IRS determines that any employee doesn’t have enough withholding, they send a lock-in letter that specifies the maximum number of withholding allowances permitted for the employee. Your employer must withhold tax as indicated in the lock-in letter by the date specified unless we notify you otherwise. This date is 60 days after the date of the lock-in letter. Once a lock-in rate is effective, an employer can’t decrease withholding unless the IRS approves it.

Once you are issued a lock-in letter, you will be given a telephone number to call the IRS for a modification. You will have 60 days to call the IRS.

A toll-free number and address for the unit handling this program is provided in the lock-in letter.

After that date, your employer must withhold income tax from your wages at a single rate with zero allowances.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This can't be legal.I filled m99 all last year and I only owe the IRS $6,000 now if this Stans I will pay in upwards of $50,000 and Taxes and not get any of it back
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I make this go away
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Unfortunately - the IRS authorized to issue such lock-in letter.

Each allowance on W4 form means $4000 in additional deductions above your standard deduction.

If you claimed 99 allowances - that actually means - you are expecting to claim $4,000,000 in deductions.
That would be very unusual - but if you can justify your claim - the IRS will withhold the lock-in letter.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Please remember that you have 60 days to discuss your issue with the IRS.

If you would not be able to negotiate - you will claim a credit for all withheld taxed on your tax return - and that amount will be credited toward your total tax liability.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How can they in essence still $50,000 a year from me. Got married in 99 the federal government take out no money in essence I'm going exempt but at the end of the year I claim my Taxes its single and one. I'm a traveling construction worker with lots of write off I usually end up owing the IRS between 5 and $7,000 at the end of the year which I pay that being said at single and 0 on average they will take $2,000 a week from my check I work 40 weeks a year which equals $80,000 I know I'm not going to get a tax return for 70000$. Which means they just stole that money from me
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What does that mean exactly
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The money withheld are not stolen and are not "lost" - that amount will be credited toward your total tax liability.

If withholding is more than your tax liability as you will calculated on your tax return - you will claim a a refund for over-payment.

Whatever you will be able to claim as deductions on your tax return will work.

The issue is not with that - but that the IRS believes you that you as an employee may have filed an incorrect Form W4. If you think you filed it correctly - you may simply contact the IRS and provide your reasoning.

You still have 60 days befor the lock-in letter will be in effect.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The letter stated that they sent that letter to all of my previous employers already and it takes effect immediately this isn't true I have 60 days from which date the day I received a letter for the day they made the letter
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The lock-in letter allows 60 days.

If that action takes effect immediately - that means - you already received (or should receive a lock in letter ) previously and 60 day period was already run out.