Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I have a few roommates in my house where I live. Rather than

Customer Question

I have a few roommates in my house where I live. Rather than calculating spaces occupied by them, depreciating that much portion of the house, deducting associated utility usage cost, If I just figure. a taxable lumsum amount and report it as income to
IRS return, is that not acceptable to IRS? Or must I go thru all the rigmarole associated with generating spare space rental income and pay an accountant to do all that?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

So sorry, the short answer is yes

...

But, it really doesn't have to be that complicated.

...

if you have four rooms that you rent, and lets say they're 10 x 10 each ... that's 100 square feet times 4 = 400 square feet

...

then just take and divide by the total square footage of the house (bet you have that somewhere) to get a percentage

...

and that's the percentage you use to allocate to rental expense

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Here's the IRS guidance from Publication 527

...

You rent a room in your house. The room is 12 × 15 feet, or 180 square feet. Your entire house has 1,800 square feet of floor space. You can deduct as a rental expense 10% of any expense that must be divided between rental use and personal use. If your heating bill for the year for the entire house was $600, $60 ($600 × .10) is a rental expense. The balance, $540, is a personal expense that you cannot deduct.

...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In other words, a lumpsum reduction for utilities is a no no right? I must go thru space depreciation, prorations. maintenance expenses repair/servicing costs etc. on my return and there is no way to get out of it even out of this small income, isn't it?
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Yes, so sorry ... one of the prices of being able TO allocate, and then apply depreciation and the other expenses to that %