Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

Taxpayer will be 59 1/2 on November 15,2015 but needs

Customer Question

Taxpayer will be 59 1/2 on November 15,2015 but needs $100,000 by October 31,2015. Can they take an IRA distribution on October 31,2015 for $100,000 , take another one for $100,000 on November 20,2015 and use that distribution to repay the first one? Would they avoid the early distribution penalty on the first distribution? Thanks!!!
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello
The Early Distribution penalty would not apply to a Roll Over. If you withdrew $100,000 on Oct 31 you would have 60 days to put $100,000 in another tax deferred account (or the same) to avoid tax and a penalty.

If you later withdrew $100,000 then you would not have the penalty but of course would owe tax on the distribution.

When you filed your return you would report the $200,000 distributed to you but $100,000 would be non taxable as long as you met the 60 day requirement.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Please review the ordering of the transaction as I have detailed it.Your response does not match my question.
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

I thought my response did go by your dates.

"take an IRA distribution on October 31,2015 for $100,000 , take another one for $100,000 on November 20,2015 and use that distribution to repay the first one"

You take out in Oct and need to put money, of same amount, back within 60 days.

As long as you put in the same amount taken out with in 60 days of that Oct date you have a rollover. It does not matter where you get the money from.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could the IRS challenge which distribution was being repaid?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

They could always challenge any thing but as long as your actions were consistent and you stay within the 60 days of the first you would be within the rules.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.