Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

2014 we filed an extension and filed on June 14, 2015.

Customer Question

For year 2014 we filed an extension and filed on June 14, 2015. "Where's my Refund" on IRS site said accepted and refund will be deposited. Now the site says delayed and code 1121. It is now October 26th.
We have received no letters.
Thanks.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

This is MST likely due only to the fact that, given the furloughs and cutbacks at IRS, there are Many more delays in ALL kinds and processing systems problems this year, as well.

....

See this from IRS:

...

Q: What should taxpayers do if they receive an 1121 reference number when they check Where’s My Refund?

A: The best advice for all taxpayers is to continue checking Where’s My Refund for a refund date. If we need more information to process their return, we will contact them — usually by mail. The web and phone tools are updated just once a day so there is no need to check more often. Our phone and walk-in representatives can only research the status of a refund if it’s been 21 days or more since the return was filed electronically, more than 6 weeks since a paper return was mailed, ...

Q: I read in social media that a reference number 1121 means I’m being audited. Is that true?

A: No, this code is simply a reference number that our telephone representatives use to help them research your account. It does not mean the taxpayer is being audited. If the IRS needs more information to process the return, we will contact the taxpayer — usually by mail.

...

If you've not received anything in the mail ... I would not worry ... you are not (by far) the first to ask this question here. I have had two clients of my own to say that they continued to check and that eventually the "processed" message came back with a new date and the refund was deposited with no problem (other than the delay)

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

You can certainly (with some patience waiting on the phone cue... be prepared for a 30 minute wait or so) call and reference the code if it's been 21 days since filing.

...

Let me know what questions you have from here

...

Lane

.