emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Taxpayers: W and Charlohingtte L. Revell received a notice

Customer Question

Taxpayers: John W and Charlohingtte L. Revell received a notice CP45 dated 7-7-2014 requesting that we not apply our 2013 overpayment to our 2014 1040, which we did not. The reason being there was activity on our 2013 return. Numerous calls with no results. What should we do next.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, John. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

CP45 is informational notice, usually you don't have to do anything. It basically informs you that because of the changes on your 2013 return there's NO overpayment to be applied to your 2014 estimated tax payments.

The notice basically tells you to correct your records and adjust your estimated payments for 2014 which you cannot do anymore since we are already in 2015.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When never received what the outcome for our 2013 1040. We dont know if we owe money or we are getting a refund. We did not use the $2038 towards our 2014. We do not know what the outcome was.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Do you know what changes IRS done to your return?

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

CP45 usually means that there's no refund left.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If you didn't receive final result of your 2013 return review/audit you should contact IRS to find out. At this point there's really nothing you can do or need to do about the CP45.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

If you receive a letter from IRS that requires your respond, you usually have between 30 - 90 days. If the letter is dated 7/7/2014, it is already too late. And again, CP45 doesn't require a respond. It is an informational letter.

Do you have any questions? Is there anything else i can help you with today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We still have not received any information on how they adjusted our tax return for 2013. They did not tell us what was wrong with the tax return.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

The return may be still in review process. To find out you have to call IRS at(###) ###-#### ***** the audit is closed, the agent can resent you the results. When was the last correspondence you received from IRS?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
7-7-2014
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Ok. So who initiated changes on your 2013 return? You by amending it or IRS by reviewing it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
IRS review
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

IRS should have had sent you the proposed changes by now. You have to call IRS and request new copies of the correspondence. You can also request transcript of your account - all correspondence and changes IRS has on record. You can request the transcript here:

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

What you are looking for is Account transcript, not just return or forms transcript.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Any luck getting information from IRS? If you IRS is giving you hard time you can contact Taxpayer advocate services. It is a free service to help people with IRS issues.

https://www.irs.gov/Advocate

And here's how to contact them. Click on the map for the state you live in to find your local office: https://www.irs.gov/Advocate/Local-Taxpayer-Advocate

If this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.