Peter Griesch
Peter Griesch,
Experience:  Tax Counsel at AIG, Inc.
89571709

Employees / Employment taxes

Customer Question

Employees / Employment taxes
Category: Tax
Expert:  Peter Griesch replied 1 year ago.

It appears my response may not have posted. If the person was an employee, who you had intended to issue a Form W-2 to, then yes, your are required to pay the employer portion of employment taxes to the IRS and VA tax authority. If the person was a contractor, who you would issue a Form 1099 to, then you're not required to withhold and pay tax.

If he was an employee, the taxes withheld should have been paid for the quarter which he was employed. If you missed that time, you can make payment with your next quarterly tax payment. It'll be late, but the IRS and VA may or may not asses a late penalty. It depends whetejr they spot the issue.

I hope this helps.

If you have no further questions, would you please rate my service? Just Answer only pays its experts if their advice is rated by the customer.

Thank you.