Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Experience:  10 years experience
16356563

THERE WAS A FEDERAL TAX LIEN FILED ON A HOUSE THAT WAS IN MY

Customer Question

tHERE WAS A FEDERAL TAX LIEN FILED ON A HOUSE THAT WAS IN MY LATE HUSBAND'S NAME THE HOUSE WAS FORECLOSED ON, AND THERE IS ENOUGH EQUITY TO SETTLE THIS TAX LIEN, THE IRS HAD 120 DAYS TO COLLECT ON THIS LIEN, THAT END DATE WOULD BE ON NOV. 21, 2015. iT SEEMS NO ONE CAN GIVE ME ANY ANSWERS ON THIS CLAIM THAT THE FED HAS ON THE HOME, THE HOME WAS NOT SOLD AT AUCTION, AND THE LENDER STILL HAS THE HOME, WHEN I TRY TO TALK TO THEM ABOUT THIS THEY JUST SAY TALK TO THE IRS, I WAS WORKING WITH A TAX ADVOCATE IN SEATTLE (HOME IS IN WASH ST) BUT HE CLOSED THE CASE AND NOW I DO NOT NNNNNNN=KNOW WHAT TO DO THIS LIEN HAD TO DO WITH MY HUSBANDS 401K THAT FIDELITY MOVED IN AN IMPROPER WAY IN 2008, IT IS NOW ON MY CREDIT REPORT, HOW DO I GET THE IRS TO SETTLE THIER LIEN WITH THE LENDER
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

Until the house is auctioned and sold IRS lien will not be satisfied. The bank is the first creditor, so until the bank loan is satisfied, IRS lien will not be paid off. The lender/bank will not settle with the the IRS until the lender is sure that his own loan is settled first.

If you believe that the debt is result of incorrect reporting, you can amend your 2008 return fix it, there's no statute of limitation for correcting/amending a return. If you filed a joint return in 2008, the debt is considered joint, regardless whose income generated the tax liability.