Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

I personally have inflation bonds,insurance policies that

Customer Question

I personally have inflation bonds,insurance policies that are not recorded on my tax returns. My mother's friend said that she thinks my mother had an insurance policy. So how do you find information that would not be on the tax return?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

If your mother passed away more than a few years ago, benefits may have already been turned over to the unclaimed property office of the state where the policy was purchased.

Go to missingmoney.com, a website of the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators, to search records from 38 states and the Canadian provinces, Puerto Rico, and the District of Columbia. The pull-down menu under Links connects you to a map and addresses for unclaimed-property agencies.

http://www.missingmoney.com/

If your mother passed recently and you have the authority, search her files for a policy, records of premium payments, or bills from an insurer.

Contact her employers, labor union, or even fraternal order to check for policies. Find and open safe-deposit boxes. Monitor the mail, e-mail, and online banking and bill-payment services for premium invoices or whole-life dividend notices.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome.
My goal is to give you excellent service.
Your positive rating is thanks enough

Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for my time.