Megan C, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Experience:  Licensed CPA, CFE, CMA, CGMA who teaches accounting courses at Master's Level
23669918

I have used airbnb in 2014 and earned approximate 3000

Customer Question

Hello, i have used airbnb in 2014 and earned approximate 3000 dollar ish. I have learned that i need to report my earning to the irs, but i am an international student with no social security or tax id, but airbnb insisted that reporting this income is required. so i went to H &R block to help me sort this thing out, and i could see that they were also pretty confused. but i think the conclusion is that i don't owe IRS any taxes because the earning is below a certain amount, but i'm still confused on whether i should file the tax return or not. thank you
Category: Tax
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

If you are a non resident alien, you are allowed an exemption -- and this amount falls below the exemption. However, in the future if you start earning a substantial income you will need to obtain an ITIN and pay tax. But, for this year you're good with no tax due.

Please let me know if you need anything additional. If not, please rate positive.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it means that i don't have to do anything? and honestly i don't really trust the person who handled my case so i want to make sure that an earning of 3200 falls below the exemption?
Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.

yes, that is below the exemption amount you're fine for this year --- but if your income goes up next year (exemption is $3950) then you will need to file a return

Expert:  Megan C replied 1 year ago.