emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
62958156

Are there any exceptions etc health conditions when addited

Customer Question

Are there any exceptions etc for serious health conditions when addited by IRS?
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

You can use serious health issues as reasonable cause for not filing your tax return or requesting more time to gather your documents but eventually it is still your responsibility for what's on your return.

Medical bills can be deducted as part of your itemized deduction if certain conditions are met but there's no exception for not complying with IRS rules.

Why are you being audited?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2013 mileage - I made a big mistake on my 2013 tax return - I calculated my business mileage round trip, but weeks later when I filled out my W2 I mistakenly took it X2 for the round trip result, not remembering I had already done thr multiplication.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also am in end stage renal failure and on kidney dialysis 4 hrs from home and have been here for 6 mos doing this; I'm on a kidney transplant list. In addition I've had 5 surgeries for vein access for the port for the verin access for this dialysis in the last few months last one of which resulted in convultions and seizures, and am diabetic, The phosphorous level in my blood has caused memory and concentration issues.
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Unless you can prove that at the time of filing your return you were mentally unstable or not well, for instance you had a medical condition or medications that affected your memory or rational thinking, than there's no exception. Unfortunately your current medical condition has nothing to do with 2013 tax return.

If the result of the audit is balance due that you cannot afford or pay, you can request installment payments or do offer in compromise. IRS will evaluate your financial situation and decide to accept it or not.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry about your medical issues. You will be able to deduct all your medical expenses, including mileage to and from medical facility plus overnight stays on your federal and most likely on your state return as well. If you are not already collecting social security disability, with your medical condition you will qualify. That's about all help you will be able to get from IRS.

If you need more time to prepare for audit, your medical condition is reasonable cause for requesting more time.

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.