Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I am a 72 yr. old woman. No responsibilitys. I live with my

Customer Question

I am a 72 yr. old woman. No responsibilitys. I live with my son & his wife. I have an IRA. I would like to invest part of the funds in Real Estate. My question is what kind of penalty or tax would I be facing in the future?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Because your are over age 59 and 1/2 there are no TAX penalties (that additional 10% penalty for withdrawing from an IRS prior to age 59 and 1/2)

...

The TAX you WILL see here; Any distribution from the IRA will be added to your taxable income for year withdrawn.

...

So if you are in, say, the 15% bracket, the IRA distribution would be taxed at 15%

...

Also you should know that it is possible to invest in Real Estate INSIDE the IRA as well, either through Real Estate mutual funds and EFT's OR in what's called a self -directed IRA.

...

Please let me know what questions you have from here.

...

Lane

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

One more thought ... because at age 70 and 1/2 you must begin taking Required Minimum Distributions from the IRA anyway (and pay the tax).

...

Taking only that minimum distribution amount and investing into something (real-estate or other) outside the IRA might be a way to minimize (spread out, year by year) taxation and still accomplish your goal here.

...

Lane

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

I see the request ... I've just made the additional services offer

...

Once you accept, I will enter my office number ... or you can enter your number if you'd prefer that I call.

...

Lane

...

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi... Just checking back to see if you saw the offer.

...

Once you accept, I'll enter my office number

...

I'll be in all day tomorrow

...

Let me know

...

Lane

..