Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

I have a few questions about Fictitious Business name and

Customer Question

I have a few questions about Fictitious Business name and EIN for banking purposes only
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Please post your questions.

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Different expert here - my name is ***** ***** please allow me to provide you with detailed information regarding fictitious business name and obtaining an EIN for banking purposes only.

The IRS makes things easy by allowing you to use your Social Security number to report business income and expenses. However, if you want to separate your business and personal affairs, you can apply for a fictitious business name, also called a “doing business as” or DBA, and an employer identification number (EIN) for the business.

To obtain an EIN,

Step 1

Go to the IRS website. Click on the “Apply for an EIN Online” link. Use the electronic system to apply for an EIN for your sole proprietorship.

Step 2

Fill out the online application. The system asks you to identify a reason for applying for an EIN for a sole proprietorship. Selecting “to open a bank account” is one of the most basic reasons, since sole proprietorships that have an EIN often set up a business bank account with it.

Step 3

File the form electronically with the IRS. Filing is free, and the system gives you your EIN immediately after transmission. Alternatively, you can apply for an EIN by mail or fax using IRS Form SS-4.

The following link contains excellent, detailed information regarding fictitious business name (doing business as) and obtaining an EIN.

http://yourbusiness.azcentral.com/getting-dba-sole-proprietor-ein-6186.html

Please let me know if you require further information.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Barb